JAVA Sr. Software Engineer - GeneLab Data Systems
|Title:||JAVA Sr. Software Engineer - GeneLab Data Systems|
Work Location: NASA Ames Research Center (Mountain View, CA)
Minimum Citizenship: U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Status
Clearance: US Government
Join a highly motivated and visible GeneLab Data Systems (GLDS) software team, learn new skills and technologies, and contribute to the advancement of NASA's biological science initiatives.
The team is building a data system on top of GenomeSpace, an open sourced bioinformatics software platform, and integrating with either Galaxy or GenePattern tool repositories, to help space biology researchers gain access and utilize biologically-inspired spaceflight data as part of "Open Data, Open Science" initiative. The software platforms will provide capabilities to make these data sets available, citable, searchable, discoverable, interpretable, reusable, and reproducible.
The GeneLab project is both a science collaboration and a data system effort to give scientists access to data from experiments onboard the International Space Station (ISS) that explore the molecular response of terrestrial biology to spaceflight environments. It is a jointly funded by the International Space Station Research Integration Office (ISSRIO) at the Johnson Space Center (JSC) and the Human Exploration and Operation Mission Directorate's (HEOMD) Space Life and Physical Sciences Division (SLPSD). It provides a data system that is a collaborative workspace with tools to analyze and visualize space-relevant omics data. GeneLab's mission is to maximize the utilization of the valuable biological research resources aboard the ISS by collecting genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, and metabolomics data known as "omics."
As a senior member of GLDS team, you will contribute to major software architecture and development activities as follows:
- Develop full-stack, multi-tiered enterprise web applications
- Build customizable workflow engine built on top of the GenomeSpace, Galaxy, or GenePattern bioinformatics software platforms
- Develop and customize full-text search engine technologies, such as ElasticSearch
- Develop utilizing the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud infrastructure (e.g., EC2, S3 etc.)
- Develop RESTful web services for data management and operations
- Build a bioinformatics tool framework and repository for data integration, pipelines, and workflows
- Follow tailored NASA Procedure Requirements (NPR) 7150.2 Software Engineering Requirements process using an iterative software development approach
Education: Advanced degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering/Electrical Engineering (MA/MS/PhD)
Required Skills and Experience
- M.S. Computer Science/Software Engineering, 6+ years of experience, knowledge of Bioinformatics or Biological Sciences
- Strong expertise with Database Systems, Relational (e.g., MySQL) and NoSQL (e.g., MongoDB)
- Experience developing and using open source full--text search engines (e.g., ElasticSearch, Lucene, Solr)
- Practical knowledge of Data Interchange Formats: JSON, XML
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Detail--oriented proactive working style
- Capable of both self--directed independent work and participation in inter--disciplinary teams
- Experience using standardized open source biocomputational tools and platforms, such as GenomeSpace, Galaxy, ISACreator, etc.
Other Desired Skills
- Knowledge using standardized open sourced biocomputational tools and platforms, such as Galaxy, GenePattern, ISACreator, etc.
- Knowledge of Bioinformatics or Biological Sciences
- Knowledge of omics data standards
QTS, Inc. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates are considered regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, disability or military status.