PYTHON Full Stack Developer - NASA NEO
|Title:||PYTHON Full Stack Developer - NASA NEO|
Work Location: NASA Ames Research Center (Mountain View, CA)
Minimum Citizenship: U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Status
Clearance: US Government
The Small Spacecraft Virtual Institute (S3VI) is a virtual institute within the small spacecraft research community with a physical presence established at NASA Ames Research Center (ARC). The mission of S3VI is to advance the field of small spacecraft systems and allied sciences by promoting collaboration, innovations, exploring new concepts, identifying emerging technology opportunities, and establishing effective conduits for sharing and dissemination research results relevant to small spacecraft systems and its subsystems.
The S3VI will establish a common web portal into NASA for all small spacecraft activities, both internal to NASA and external to the diverse small spacecraft communities. The S3VI web portal will capture information on NASA-funded small spacecraft activities, identify small spacecraft collaborative opportunities, and provide NASA Points of Contact (POCs) for a variety of small spacecraft activities across NASA Centers.
NEO Project Background:
The Space Science and Astrobiology Division (Code SSA) at NASA Ames Research Center (ARC) has created a public website to assist researchers of Near Earth Objects (NEOs). The NEO characterization group within the ARC planetary defense project has been tasked with building an online resource for the planetary defense community to collate and disseminate physical characteristics of a majority of Near Earth Asteroids (NEA) and some Meteorites (hence Objects). The data and its sources will be heterogeneous.
As a key member of these two projects, you will contribute to the software design and development activities as follows:
- Assist with gathering requirements from the stakeholders, scientists, and primary users.
- Document the requirements and evolve the requirements into user cases and/or user stories
- Transform use cases and/or user stories into concrete development tasks that can be completed in an iterative manner.
- Develop full-stack, multi-tiered enterprise web applications.
- Lead the effort to migrate NEO from .NET-centric back-end to a Linux stack preferably using Python/Django.
- Develop RESTful web services for data management and operations.
- Assist in the design and development of web user interfaces.
- Follow tailored NASA Procedure Requirements (NPR) 7150.2 Software Engineering Requirements process using an iterative software development approach.
Education: Bachelor's Degree (BA/BS) in Computer Science/Software Engineering/Computer Engineering/Electrical Engineering
Required Skills and Experience
- 4+ years of software design and development using Django/Python or Java
- 4+ years developing web services, web APIs, and data cleaning and scrubbing software using Python/Django
- 2+ years with UI frameworks: AngularJS, KendoUI, Telerik Controls, Bootstrap, Foundation.
- 4+ years with UNIX/Linux - RedHat families of Linux distributions (e.g., RHEL, CentOS) and/or MacOS
- 2+ years with scripting languages, such as, PHP, Perl or other UNIX/Linux shell.
- 2+ years developing and using RESTful web services.
- 2+ years with database technologies (e.g., MySQL, MongoDB and SQLite)
- 1+ years of search technologies: ElasticSearch, Lucene, SOLR
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented, proactive, and capable of conducting both self-directed independent work, and participating in inter-disciplinary teams
Other Desired Skills
- Familiarity with C# and ASP.NET
- Familiarity with SQL Server
- Familiarity with R and R Studio for statistical analysis
- Familiarity with Agile Development Practices
- Familiarity with Atlassian family of products - JIRA, Confluence, and Bamboo
- Astronomy, space sciences, and/or astrobiology interests are a plus, especially with learning and understanding NEO characteristics and physical properties (e.g., diameter, taxonomy)
QTS, Inc. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates are considered regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, disability or military status.